30 January 2007

Disney Day 3

Monday 22 Jan 2007


Monday was Animal Kingdom day. We started off with the safari, which Shelley and I agreed was the best we'd ever seen it. I just don't know how those Disney Imagineers make those animals look so realistic. We then took a trek on the Pangani Exploration Trail, which was nice. We'd already seen enough wonders on this trip however, that the kids hardly broke stride to check out the gorillas along the way.

It was then on to Camp Minnie Mickey where the kids got to meet and greet The Mouse himself.


There was not enough time to queue for Minnie, Donald, or Goofy before the Festival of the Lion King began. The music, gymnastics, and fire tossing captivated Alex, but somehow made Ella hungry. We then learned in the Tree of Life that it is Tough To Be a Bug. We also learned that being sprayed with a foul smell is just as offensive in the Animal Kingdom as it was in Epcot.

By this point, the kids were falling apart. A pretzel and some popcorn rejuvenated them enough to tackle the Bone Yard. This is a dinosaur themed playground complete with places to get wet and a large sand/pebble pit where kids can dig up dinosaur bones while collecting stones in the hair and underwear. We'd spent what felt like an age in the Bone Yard when the rain started, and that was enough of an excuse to go back to the campground.


We ate lunch at the Trails End restaurant at Fort Wilderness which was an all you can eat buffet, including chocolate pudding. I love me the pudding. Long before I was hungry again it was time to take the boat to Wilderness Lodge where Oma and Opa had made us all dinner reservations at The Whispering Canyon.



The Whispering Canyon is adjacent to the impressive lobby of the lodge, and even by Disney standards, it is a restaurant with flair. This is never more apparent than when you ask your waitress for some ketchup.



You might think that this would have been the highlight of this meal. Or perhaps you would guess it was the wooden "pony express" ride all the kids took around the room. Either guess would be wrong. The actual highlight was the All You Care To Enjoy milkshakes. If you ask me, this is an innovation that is long past due. I very much enjoyed my first milkshake. I less enthusiastically enjoyed my second milkshake. When asked if I would enjoy a third milkshake, my mind and my stomach said "no-no" but my mouth said "Would I? Of course I would!" Stupid mouth. It took some doing, but I managed to adhere to my no milkshake left behind policy.

No comments: