17 July 2006

Chicken On The Can

It was a perfect storm. I had enough red-neckness in me from my years living in NC. I was inspired to cook entire animals on the grill by my recent attendance at my brother's pig pickin'. I'd somehow acquired a can of beer from the soccer game tailgate. I had a chicken.

A beer can chicken was inevitable.

Chef Google led me to this site for a recipe. I adapted the dry rub to use brown sugar, pretzel salt, Italian seasoning, garlic, paprika, and of course some Mort. I also used olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
I had to forgo using a smoker box because I hadn't soaked any woodchips, didn't actually have any woodchips, and don't have a smoker box.

Even with my modifications, the end result was delicious.

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I've always wanted to try that. Did you have any problems with the thing tipping over? I always worried the beer butt chicken would be top heavy.